27 March 2009

22 days to ragnarok...

and i do not feel that i feasted enough at the tables in Valhalla.

the prospect of pulling out of this challenge pains me, i do not fear the prospect of a crushing defeat. that is a given, i am always the Dfl and it doesn't pain me to say that. preparation has gone poorly, not enough miles, i'm not looking to put in 105 miles every weekend or even hit that once before the randonnee`. i'm more concerned about financial and equipment issues. i did recently take a new job and the loss of income for chasing a goal that i am sure will be anti-climactic enters the picture. the straight story is that i haven't got the money or the time to prepare properly.

this will not be a cascade, i am committed to the almonzo a month later and feel that if i'm gonna do a gravel road race this should be the one. Now, some may question my performance in the slick 50(73 miles) as an indicator of my fitness. i actually felt pretty good for most of the ride, the loss of the group after a flat did bring my map reading skills into question.

i will not make any firm decisions until march 1st. i'm thinking about adding a 25 mile commute to my training schedule.